hey, it’s the first of october! happy october, guys! i was thinking today would be the perfect day to share my little fall to do list. i don’t like to say bucket list, because i feel like it’s kind of morbid, you know? i mean, i’m (hopefully- God willing) not going to be kicking the bucket any time soon, so yeah. fall to do list. now, this was such a great plan, you know. oh! it’s the first day in october! that’s a pretty good time to talk all about this new season, right? yeah, and then the weather man decides to let me know (so kind of him) that the high is going to 100 today. one hundred. triple digits. in october. i mean, does this happen every year and i’m just really good at blocking it out of my memory? because i have spent every single fall except for one in my 25 years on this planet in california. and this warmth seems shocking to me. so, who knows. i AM quite skilled at remembering only what i want to remember. really, guys, it’s a good skill to have. so, whatever. i’ll be over here wearing a sundress and lying miserably in front of the air conditioning unit, drinking lots of ice water and fanning myself dramatically, a la scarlett o’hara. her first name is katie, after all, don’tcha know.
without further ado, here it is. my fall to do list:
1. apple hill. duh. if you live anywhere near the northern part of california, then this is the place to go for all things autumnal. rolling miles of apple orchards and pretty fall leaves on the trees, and cute little pumpkin patches. i recommend getting a dozen of the apple donuts, because really, one just isn’t enough. also, the apple cider is a must (and there’s free samples!) and apple turnovers at larsen’s, sitting by the cute little pond at high hill, picking out your pumpkins to adorn the porch. this is the quintessential “fall” activity in my book. and we will be going at least once. at least.
2. make pumpkin cookies. i have never made a cookie with any sort of pumpkin essence to it, but thanks to pinterest, now i want every single thing that i make to have pumpkin something or other in it. and i’m okay with that.
3. decorate pumpkins. oh, i have so many ideas for this one! glitter! polka dots! stripes! make them into cute little gourd animals of all sorts! paint them solid colors! yeah, i’m going pumpkin crazy this year.
4. watch scary movies. now, this is one of my favorite traditions in my family. every year, in the entire month of october, we watch scary movies. not every night, but every movie night. this was started by my dad, who is a HUGE fan of any and all horror movies. my mom usually ends up leaving the room and doing things elsewhere- she is NOT a fan- so it’s kind of become this thing that i share with my dad, and is one of the very best things about october. to be honest, i’m a terrible horror movie watcher. i mean, really. i’m the type that gets frightened by the tiniest move or sound. the first 2 minutes in “silence of the lambs” absolutely terrifies me- you know, the part where jodie foster is running through the forest? that’s it. she’s just running. hannibal lector hasn’t even been introduced yet. but maybe it’s the suspense of the entire movie. same with the twin girls at the end of the hallway in “the shining.” they’re just standing there. no big deal, right? what’s so scary about twins? i’ll tell you what: EVERYTHING. plus, that movie is just absolutely the worst. the WORST. which, therefore, makes it one of the best. but only in october.
5. wear all of my fall clothes. now, this may seem simple, but really. i tend to always reach for the same things in my closet and my plan for this fall is to make sure to really wear everything i’ve got! this includes each of my boots and cute light sweaters, scarves, and plaids. oh, those plaids. of which, i have every color of the rainbow. this will happen. whenever the weather decides to cooperate with moi. it might help me to remember this if i do a fall outfit series here! look out for that soon!
there you have it. it’s simple. it’s short. and it’s what i plan on doing this fall. whenever that will be.